The Orient
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Constitutional Convention

3 posters

Go down

Constitutional Convention Empty Constitutional Convention

Post by Nayrin Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:00 am

In the interest of sparking discussion, The Emirate of Nayrin and Kyongdong would like to co-sponsor the following for the Oriental State's approval a proposed Constitution!

The Constitution and Bill of Rights of the Oriental State

We, the signatories of this constitution do hereby resolve to constitute the Oriental State – a region of equal states, into a Sovereign Secular State to secure the rights, privileges, peace and prosperity of all members. Justice for all member states, liberty of conscience for all peoples and equality among partners in building a future for the Oriental State.

The Territory of the Oriental State
1. THE ORIENTAL STATE shall henceforth comprise all members of the REGION OF THE ORIENT including present signatories and any future states admitted into THE ORIENTAL STATE.
2. Future admitted states to THE ORIENTAL STATE will face no discrimination in regards to their state politics or personal convictions. No test of loyalty or questioning will be a prerequisite to entry – save agreement to the provisions of this constitution.

Government Structure of the Oriental State
1. Being a union of equal and sovereign states, a DEMOCRATIC government to administer regional affairs is to be established henceforth known as the ORIENTAL GOVERNMENT. This government will be representative of the ambitions of the Oriental states to build a lasting peace.
2. Be it resolved that executive power will reside with THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT, checked by THE ORIENTAL PREMIER who will act with respect to the wishes of THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS. THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT will oversee the administration of the ORIENTAL GOVERNMENT and appoint his/her CABINET (ceremonial positions) and JUDGES while THE ORIENTAL PREMIER will represent THE ORIENTAL STATE in the WORLD ASSEMBLY and in relations with other regions, respective of the wishes of the members of THE ORIENTAL STATE. THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS, comprised of voting member states, will pass legislation by a majority of 50% (with THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT acting solely as a tie breaking vote). THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS will be governed by the ruling party (achieved by a majority of votes in a general election held in a time to be chosen by the THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS).
3. Within THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS, all bills proposed by either sitting government or the opposition will be debated, voted upon and passed with by a majority of 50% within a 48 hour period of the voting commencing. Any bill may be voted for repeal no sooner than a week after passing.
4. The positions of THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT and THE ORIENTAL PREMIER will be held for no more than 4 months (the present will begin their measured term after the passage of the Constitution, followed by a general election in THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS). THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS may vote to impeach either THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT or THE ORIENTAL PREMIER, requiring a 75% majority to pass.

Elections
1. General elections for THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT, THE ORIENTAL PREMIER and THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS (to determine the governing party) every 4 months. These elections will be overseen by THE ELECTIONS COMMITTEE – a position held by two ELECTION COMISSIONERS for an equal 4 months and to be appointed by each successive victor of the office of THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT.
2. THE ELECTIONS COMMITTEE will provide information regarding the voting process, how to register for voting and the rules of forming political parties to members of the region. ELECTION COMISSIONERS will not instruct members in which way to vote for legislation or which party to join. Should ELECTION COMISSIONERS be found to be in breach of these regulations, they are subject to ejection from office following an investigation by the ORIENTAL SUPREME COURT – resulting in permanent banning from holding said office.

The Oriental Supreme Court
Within this document, the Constitution accepts and adopts the current CRIMINAL CODE OF THE ORIENTAL STATE with the following additions:
1. The creation of an ORIENTAL SUPREME COURT consisting of 3 JUDGES who will enforce the CRIMINAL CODE OF THE ORIENTAL STATE and interpret or protect this Constitution as they see fit. These JUDGES will be appointed by THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT on advice of THE ORIENTAL PREMIER and THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS.
2. A JUDGE’s term will not exceed 4 months. THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS may vote to impeach any member of the ORIENTAL SUPREME COURT with a majority vote of 75%. THE ORIENTAL PRESIDENT and THE ORIENTAL PREMIER may by no means sit as JUDGES in ORIENTAL SUPREME COURT.
3. In addition to the proscribed powers existing in the CRIMINAL CODE OF THE ORIENTAL STATE, the ORIENTAL SUPREME COURT has the powers vested in it to examine cases of negligence of duty by ELECTION COMISSIONERS in the manner cited in Elections Sec.2 of this Constitution. Guilty offenders will be punished in accordance with the constitutional provisions listed in Elections Sec.2.

Amending the Constitution
The Constitution may be amended from its present form by a bill proposed in THE NATIONAL PEOPLES’ CONGRESS supported by a 75% majority of voters.

The Oriental Bill of Rights
Be it resolved that The ORIENTAL STATE adopt THE ORIENTAL BILL OF RIGHTS which states the following:
1. All member states and their citizens remain equal before the law and will be awarded due process and all freedoms guaranteed in the constitution.
2. This bill upholds the sovereignty of every member state of the Orient to govern their individual states as they see fit. Freedom of conscience for voting will also be protected.
3. Freedom of speech, barring any hate speech or personal threats, is protected.
4. No official ideology or religion will exist, affirming sovereignty and the right of freedom of conscience.

This is the proposed constitution of THE ORIENTAL STATE. May there be peace in our time.

Last edited by Nayrin on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nayrin
Nayrin
Premier
Premier

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=nayrin

Back to top Go down

Constitutional Convention Empty Re: Constitutional Convention

Post by Karlom-Terevanyia Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:20 am

The Oriental Charter of Confederation is under construction and will present itself as an alternative and competitor to the proposed constitution.
Karlom-Terevanyia
Karlom-Terevanyia

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlom-Terevanyia Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:24 am

The Oriental Charter of Confederation

We the delegates of the Orient, realizing the need for a defining document of unity among us, do draft this charter of Confederation, defining the rights of nations and the rights of the regional sovereigns.

The Rights of Nations

I. All nations abiding in the borders of the Oriental region are subject to and strengthened by this legislation. This legislation does not apply to nations outside the jurisdiction of the Oriental State.

II. The nations of the Oriental State have certain rights not to be denied by the sovereigns of the Orient - elected or appointed. Chief amongst these are:

1. The right to support any creed, group, or religion or to condemn them or remain neutral is entirely up to the leaders of said nations and no Oriental charter can force tolerance on that nation.

2. They have the right to deny the soldiers of their nation be drafted into service of the region, and troops can only be obtained by their voluntary pledge of military forces.

3. The right to acquire and hold nuclear weapons in the defense of their nation and retaliation against other nations.

4. The right to institute any government policy they see fit without punishment.

5. The right to elect their sovereigns to the positions they hold and vote them out by a two-thirds majority.

6. The right to participate or not participate in the Regional Assembly.

7. The right to deny a request by another nation and defend themselves against the tyranny of another regional power.

8. The right to further non-enumerated powers as seen to be just and proper by the Regional Assembly.

9. The right to propose amendments to this document.

The Rights of Sovereigns

I. All leaders representing or governing the region of the Orient are hereby subject to the power of the individual states. The individual states have the power to raise these leaders up and the power to cut them down if they be found to violate the governances of this document or the laws of the land.

II. The Rights of the leaders of the Orient have the following enumerated powers:

1. To represent the region abroad.

2. To declare war with another region or nation (with the support of two-thirds of the region's nations).

3. To regulate and resolve regional disputes between member-states.

4. To preside over the institutions of government.

III. The powers of the government may be expanded upon by further amendments to this document.

The Structure of Government

I. This article hereby authorizes the continuation of the position of President to hold chief executive power and the power of the Premier to check the president.

II. This article hereby authorizes the continuation of the Regional Congress with the ability to draft laws amending this document or expanding upon their non-enumerated legislative rights. All member-states will receive one vote regardless of influence, party, or population.

III. This article hereby authorizes the creation of the Oriental Supreme Court composed of one justice to interpret laws and make sure they maintain the ideals expressed in this Charter. The Judicial Branch is subject to expansion by amendment power as we see fit by expansion of the region.

~ authorized by the Delegation of the Conservative Confederal Party of the Orient
Karlom-Terevanyia
Karlom-Terevanyia

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyongdong Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:12 pm

I am in favour of the Nayrin Constitution. KT your Constitution sends more National Sovereignist which we are not aiming for.
Kyongdong
Kyongdong
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayrin Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 am

I'm hoping more ideas may pop up in the near future since there are only two potential (and both well constructed) choices thus far. However, in the event we don't see any major changes (it has been over a week since the last post in this thread) I'd move that in 48 hours we put the present proposals to a vote to kick start this region and avoid idleness.
Nayrin
Nayrin
Premier
Premier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyongdong Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:39 am

Sorry I have been so inactive and I agree. Also I am going to nominate another Roleplay Mentor to help me out soon!
Kyongdong
Kyongdong
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayrin Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Nayrin wrote:I'm hoping more ideas may pop up in the near future since there are only two potential (and both well constructed) choices thus far. However, in the event we don't see any major changes (it has been over a week since the last post in this thread) I'd move that in 48 hours we put the present proposals to a vote to kick start this region and avoid idleness.

Well folks I think it's about time we voted on the two good proposals that have been presented for the region! Would anyone care to second the motion? If it does proceed to voting, give say 48 hours before polling closes, to aid in maximizing participation?
Nayrin
Nayrin
Premier
Premier

Back to top Go down

Post by Karlom-Terevanyia Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:37 pm

In that case I am (predictably) going to vote in favor of my proposal.
Karlom-Terevanyia
Karlom-Terevanyia

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayrin Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 am

Understandable, yours is a good proposal. If that means you second my motion and wish to vote, then I will support my proposal.
Nayrin
Nayrin
Premier
Premier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyongdong Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:33 am

I vote in favour of the Nayrin constitution.
Kyongdong
Kyongdong
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum